St Catherines Win The Champions League Final

St Catherines  4    Bonagee Utd 2

St Catherines Win The champions League Final

Would like to congratulate St Catherines U14's on winning the champions league final in Finn park earlier today, Fair play to Bonagee utd on there efforts,Some top players on show from both teams,

And credit must be giving to the managers and staff and the parents for all the driving to games and trainings throughout the year...

Big shout out to the support shown by both sets of supporters for the encouragement at the game...And great to see our sitting TD at the match aswell..

When the team returned to Killybegs the local band and a large crowd were on hand to parade the team around the town Not every day we can say in St Catherines that we have won the treble.. Well done 14's

More photos in the gallery 

St Catherine's produced a sensational second half comeback to defeat Bonagee United in the Under 14 Champions League Final. Trailing 2-0 at half time the killybegs side scored four goals in the second half to clinch the title.
St Catherine's settled the quicker of the two teams and two early chances fell their way. Firstly Jonah Serrinha was on hand to make a vital interception as Ryan Cunningham and Lanty Molloy broke through for St Catherine's. Shortly after an Aaron Doherty deflected free kick tested Ross Marley in goal for Bonagee United.
On the 12th minute Bonagee created their first meaningful opening as a corner caused confusion amongst St. Catherine's defence though Bonagee couldn't convert the chance.
Bonagee again threatened from a corner 4 minutes later as Darragh Ellison rose above the tall St Catherine’s defence though failed to keep his header on target.
St Catherine's were unlucky not to take the lead on the 20th minute as a lobbed pass was played to midfielder Aaron Doherty, he allowed to ball to bounce before unleashing a half volley that crashed off the crossbar and over much to the relief of the Bonagee goalkeeper.
Bonagee United continued to cause problems for St. Catherine’s and they took the lead on the half hour mark. A free kick from the right wasn’t dealt with by Colm Garvey, the St. Catherine’s goalkeeper, whose punch fell to Bernard McGettigan who returned the ball to Jonah Serrinha at the far post for him to slide in and toe-poke the ball across the line.

Bonagee United doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time with a remarkable goal. A free kick awarded to Bonagee 40 yards out looked like it would cause little danger to the St. Catherine’s goal, however Connor O’Reilly delivered a shot which deceived everyone before nestling in the corner of the net.

St Catherine’s started the second half with an urgency to get an early goal to turn the tide the game. Oran McGuinness was allowed space in the midfield to run onto a pass and shoot agonisingly over the bar two minutes into the half.

Lanty Molloy was beginning to assert his physical presence for St. Catherine’s and the forward brought his side back into the game. A long ball forward was controlled by Molloy, he then turned the defender twice before firing a right foot shot low and hard past Ross Marley.

Bonagee United weren’t deterred though and could have restored their lead when Aaron Wasson, who was menacing down the right wing, crossed to Dylan Doogan whose header was deflected just over the bar.

Bonagee United had Ross Marley to thank on the next attack as he produced a superb reaction save to tip a goalbound Lanty Molloy strike wide of his goal.

At this point the game was very open as both sides showed their attacking intent. At one end Lanty Molloy was again foiled by Marley as he made a smart save at his near post, while less than minute later James Carolan broke through for Bonagee United though could only strike wide of the goal.

A mistake at the back from St. Catherine’s allowed Bernard McGettigan to break away however the striker shot wide from a promising position.

St. Catherine’s finally made Bonagee United pay for missed chances. A loose ball on the edge of the box was met by substitute Niall Campbell who released an unstoppable shot which hit the net via the post to level the scores.

St. Catherine’s almost instantly took the lead as Ryan Cunningham won the ball in the middle before beating a number of Bonagee United defenders though his shot hit the side netting.

The woodwork was beginning to have a major impact on the game. James Carolan fired a shot off the post from a Bonagee corner, whilst Aaron Doherty was denied by the crossbar for the second time in the game from his 25 yard shot.

Four minutes from time St. Catherine’s took the lead. Lanty Molloy received the ball on the right before battling his way through the Bonagee challenges and directing a shot past Ross Marley.

St. Catherine’s secured the win two minutes later when Conor Cunningham played the ball to Aaron Doherty, he skipped past a Bonagee challenge before striking a left foot shot into the base of the net, scoring a goal that his performance deserved.

St. Catherine’s hadn’t long to hold on and within minutes the final whistle was blown confirming the killybegs team as the champions.


Match Report by Andrew Wilson

Check-in Date:

Check-out Date: